Fulbright Degree Program
|Deadline||April 12, 2023|
The Fulbright Master's and PhD Program funds graduate study in the United States. Funded by the United States Department of State, these grants cover tuition, required textbooks, airfare, a living stipend, and health insurance. USEFP also assists with the visa process.
For the Master's degree program, eligible candidates will have either a four-year Bachelor's degree or a Bachelor's and Master's combination totaling 16 years of formal education from an accredited university. Recent graduates are strongly encouraged to apply, except for MBA and Public Policy/Administration applicants, who require 2 years of work experience.
For the PhD degree program, eligible applicants will have a Master's, M.Phil or comparable degree (a minimum of 18 years of formal education) from an accredited university. It is highly desirable that candidates have work experience in teaching, research, or the public sector in Pakistan.
For both the Master's and PhD programs, all academic disciplines are eligible, except clinical medicine. The Graduate Record Examination (GRE General) is required for all applicants. Under the new scoring system, a minimum score of 145 is required on each section of the GRE examination, with a higher score on the section most applicable to your field of study. Applicants must also possess a high level of fluency in spoken and written English. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) will be required from all the selected candidates.
All successful candidates are required to sign a contract with USEFP and, for successful PhD candidates, a bond with the HEC that binds them to return to Pakistan immediately after their program in the U.S. and serve the country for the number of years equivalent to the length of their scholarship program. This contract is redeemable on a year-for-year basis minimum of two years; as long as a person fulfills the service requirement, he or she will pay nothing.
Applications are accepted each year in January/February and the deadline to submit application is around April/May. The application review and interview process continue until September and the results are announced in mid-October. After selection, the university submission and placement process continue until February and visa interviews take place until June. The departure to the U.S. commences in July and onwards, depending on the universities reporting dates.
- Pakistani citizens with strong academic histories, residing (throughout the process) in Pakistan and committed to returning and serving Pakistan are welcome to apply.
- All disciplines are eligible except clinical medicine. People in the fields of energy, water, agriculture, health, education, environment, and climate change disciplines are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Eligible Master's applicants will have a four-year Bachelor's degree or a Bachelor's and Master's combination (16 years of formal education) and PhD applicants will have Master's, M.Phil., or a comparable degree (18 years of formal education) from an accredited university.
- Applicants should be prepared to complete grants without accompanying dependents, if need be.
- Persons with a dual U.S./Pakistan nationality or those having a spouse, parent, siblings or child over 18 years of age who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Employees of the Fulbright organization, the U.S. Department of State, or USAID and their spouses, children, fiancés, siblings, dependents, and parents.
- People who have already availed one Fulbright award for any degree program.
- Persons already studying in the U.S. or on a work/residence/student visa in any country.
How to apply
A complete application package includes:
- An application form
- Three reference letters
- GRE score report
- Scanned transcripts, including an explanation of the grading scale of the university issuing the degree should be uploaded. Please note that HEC-attested documents are preferable with the application but degree and transcripts attested by the issuing authority will be acceptable at the time of application.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. An application with references and required supporting documents must be submitted online. Please note that paper applications will not be accepted.
Institute of International Education (IIE)